Tuesday 27 December 2011

Beta Testing.

It has been nine months since the Nintendo 3DS launched and up to now I have done my upmost to resist its lure.

Yes, like a particularly attractive mermaid the 3DS has been tempting me with its gorgeous looks and upped visuals and so far I’ve managed to stay strong and keep hold of my money.

My brother gave in instantly on launch and bought it with Street Fighter 4 and Pilotwings but was starved of games really until Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64 came out. Yet he is being rewarded this Christmas for purchasing on launch, and rightly so as Nintendo dropped the price only a few months later.

So now he has 20 new games from the e-shop free of charge, 10 of them are unavailable GBA games too! Hats off to Nintendo for actually rewarding their loyal customers instead of ripping them off like everyone else!

The e-shop on the 3DS is a pretty big selling point for me, just as the Virtual Console was on the Wii. When the 3DS was launched back in March, resistance was easy as there were no games released that were anywhere near tempting and the e-shop wasn’t up and running yet. Keeping a grasp of my money was easy-peasy.

But then the e-shop opened and made games like The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening and Metroid 2 available and I’ve got to say I wasn’t half tempted to get one, especially after the price drop! After that they only went and released Super Mario 3D Land AND Mario Kart 7 just before Christmas! And yet somehow I still managed to stay strong! All because I know Nintendo…

I know that as soon as I get one, Nintendo will reveal the new and improved 3DS. They’ll throw an i on the end of it and say it’s new, leaving me out of date and out of pocket.

That’s what they did with the DS. When it launched I held off, knowing full-well that Nintendo would bring out an improved version. My brother purchased that on launch too, but that time he wasn’t so lucky and I emerged victorious when they released the DS Lite. I picked it up and still own it today; the DSi and DSi XL weren’t improved enough for me to get one.

It also happened many moons ago with the Game Boy Advance. I bought the original but simply HAD to have the GBA SP with its beautifully backlit screen. If only I’d left the original on the shelf and not been too tempted by Mario Kart Super Circuit I’d have been quids in!

This is what Nintendo do unfortunately; they reveal a new console and then after a few months reveal a new and improved version! When Nintendo release a new console they should attach the suffix ‘beta’ to the console name, because that’s what it is! They bring out the console, find out what’s wrong with it and then release the improved version.

And here we are with the 3DS. Do I buy it now knowing that as soon as I do they’ll reveal an improved version? As good as the 3DS is it has a major problem in its power capacity, giving a meagre 5 hours of gameplay. Are Nintendo going to just leave it like that or are they going to bring out a 3DSi with an improved battery life?

Well I’ve made my decision; I’m going to buy myself one. The lure of Mario Kart 7 is quite frankly too great, but I do it with a niggling worry in the back of my mind. Tomorrow I will make the purchase, and no doubt by the end of the week Nintendo will reveal the new and improved 3DS and I’ll be left rueing the day I trusted them!

Why does Mario Kart have to be so bloody good!?

No comments:

Post a Comment